Monday, February 04, 2008

What's in a Name?

The results are in. The polls show that my initial (literally) labels for my kids are just as confusing for you to read as they are for me to write. Using first names seems to be the most convenient way of identification, but for many reasons (not the least of which is a high aversion to strangers knowing my kids' names) I just can't bring myself to go there. Next popular--pseudonyms--which are a perfect compromise for this blogging mom.
The good news is the names for The Boy and Baby T (until he's replaced by another baby) work fine. The bad news is there are four girls for whom an alias escapes me. Honestly, if someone had told me ten years ago that I'd have more trouble choosing blog handles for my children than their birth names, I would have laughed. (Granted, I might have also gotten some strange looks, as I'm quite certain that the blogosphere in 1997 wasn't what it is today.)

I've had a fair amount of input here from the namees as well:

No one wants a name that is too descriptive of their personality (i.e.-Spazzy McGee or Eatsalot).

The big girls want names that sound mysterious and exotic and oh-so-more-interesting than the ones we've given them (you know something like Jessica or Ashley).

And I'd personally like some connection to our blog theme of the Ark (Shem, Japheth and Ham) but that was quickly vetoed by everyone, especially considering we have to name not three, but four and they're all girls.

So, there it is. The name controversy on the Ark rages on. Can suitable names be found for the girls? Or will they be known forever on the web as single-letter entities? Are there names out there that will save them from a life of bloggy embarrassment? Is the solution out there? Stay tuned for these and other exciting adventures on the Ark.

And, if you have a really great suggestion. Feel free to let us know!

4 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Maybe they could name themselves after their favorite Gemstone or Flower. Would that be exotic enough for them?

Barbara said...

Or a favorite female saint?

I'm contemplating the switch, too. Fortunately, I don't think my guys care (and if I give Faith a choice, she'll come up with Sleeping Beauty or Rapunzel!).

Anonymous said...

How about the Hebrew name of their initial? Hence the letter A would be Aleph, the letter B, Bet etc....Just an idea and that certainly would be keeping with the Biblical theme of the Ark.

Laurayne

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Boy, these are all great ideas! I'm mulling them all over...expect an answer soon!

God Bless,
Jane