Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Birth Order

The last chapter in our couple's bible study was titled the Work of the Spirit.

I have to admit, the third person of the Trinity is kind of like the middle child in the family, in my opinion. Not nearly as strong a presence, nor the obvious a choice for class president as the oldest child. Neither as demanding or persistent or IN YOUR FACE as the baby of the family. Rather, the Spirit's ways are those of the quiet, unassuming (dare I say invisible?) middle child, who when we stop and take the time to listen offers splendid insight into the ordinary that might otherwise go unnoticed.

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

Breathe in me, O Holy Spirit, that my thoughts may all be holy.

Act in me, O Holy Spirit, that my work, too, may be holy.

Draw my heart, O Holy Spirit, that I love but what is holy.

Strengthen me, O Holy Spirit, to defend all that is holy.

Guard me, then, O Holy Spirit, that I always may be holy.

Amen.

-Saint Augustine of Hippo

2 comments:

Anne said...

LOVE your thoughts on the Holy Spirit!! What a great mediation.

Thanks,
Anne

Anne said...

I meant to type meditation not mediation......it is what happens when you type fast, hit enter and don't reread your post....ugh....

Anne