Monday, January 28, 2008

Loveliness Fair 2008

I've been a longtime fan, but never a participant, in the Loveliness Fairs hosted by some very lovely bloggers for quite some time now. This year's focus is on achieving Loveliness in our own Domestic Churches in simple ways and then sharing our thoughts and ideas with one another.

This month's theme, Simply Lovely Soups, starting tomorrow at Blueberry Cottage, was one I just couldn't pass up.

I mean it's Chicago...and it's winter...and there are eight cold, hungry folks here on the Ark, ever ready to indulge themselves in a warm, cozy soupfest!

Besides, I owed Anne this soup recipe.

This Italian Sausage Soup is courtesy of my mother-in-law, who has been living and sharing a life of simple loveliness with me for nearly two decades!

Italian Sausage Soup

1 pound Italian sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
2 c. broccoli flowerets
1 c. uncooked mostaccioli pasta
2 1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. fennel seed, crushed
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 medium onion, chopped
1 can (28 oz) Italian tomatoes (preferably diced)
1 can (10 1/2 oz) beef broth, condensed

Cook and drain sausage. Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mostaccioli is tender.

This recipe is great served with a fresh, tossed, green salad and a warm loaf of fresh-baked bread. (Laura, if you'd like to share yours, I'm all ears!)

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Anne said...

Hi Jane!

Oh thank you so much! I need to get to the store tomorrow and now I can add the ingredients to my list. It looks so yummy! I will have to post some soups on my site tomorrow to join the fair!

Blessings,
Anne

Suzanne said...

I can almost smell this here on the East coast just by reading the ingredients! Can't wait to try it!

Anonymous said...

Jane, this looks yummy! And I think I even have most of the ingredients already (no mostaccioli--I can't even spell it, I had to cut and paste.) :)

And Laura must've heard your pleas, because she posted where she found the bread recipe, and I swear it's gonna change my life. Well, you know. Bread-wise, anyway. :)

Warmly,
Eileen