Monday, January 07, 2008

Get Away!

For his Christmas gift this year, I opted to schedule a get-away mini-weekend for my husband and I. (Yes, I know, this ranks right up there with giving him a copy of my favorite book or movie as we both enjoyed it tremendously--but hopefully, he was enjoying himself too much to notice...) Regardless, we spent a lovely evening in the city at a historic Chicago hotel and dined at one of our fair city's famous steakhouses, where we were thrilled to realize that the "smoke-free" restaurants rule was now in effect. (There really is nothing like eating a meal that has NOT been sauteed in someone's second hand smoke!)

Much to my surprise, when we arrived a bottle of champagne was chilling in our room and a complimentary breakfast for two delivered via room service was scheduled to arrive the next morning. Honestly, I don't know how that happened, but I must admit I was quite happy it did!
Needless to say, having an unlimited amount of time in which to shower, dress and get pretty (minus the standard interruptions of "Can you wipe me?", "Can you sign my homework?", "I neeeeeeed more fill in the food/drink favorite of the day," or my favorite, at 7 in the morning, "I have to ask you something important---what's for dinner tonight?") left me feeling refreshed and ready to head back to the troops waiting at home. It also reminded me that it is possible that my husband manages to see the leisurely showered hotel woman through the pony tails and sweat pants that usually greet him at the end of his day, but for good measure, I suggested he snap a mental picture--just in case.


But the best part of leaving, as always, was coming home. Remembering that the little ones who waited there for us were the actual, physical examples of all that was good about being away.

(A few of the photos of the hotel lobby--I couldn't get a good picture of me with my jeans and well-worn shoes from Target clutching my enormous Mom-purse and looking like the suburban mom I am spending a night in the big city)


2 comments:

Mama of 5 said...

Lovely! I'm so glad you got away and had a nice time with hubby.
Becky

Easter Almuena said...

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! I am so happy for both of you!

My husband and I make an effort to date once a week. It is good for the marriage. God bless you abundantly!