Thursday, June 26, 2008

In the Still of the Night

It was nearly 1 o'clock in the morning last night as I wrapped up my writing for this week's deadline.

Around 10:30 at night, everyone had finally headed off to bed and I picked up my notebook (yes, I'm a pen and paper writer at heart) and decided to sit up in bed and work. Thinking that I had waited until there was relative quiet on the Ark, I picked up my pen and my notes to begin.
Funny, how I had never noticed the annoying click-click-click-clack that our ceiling fan was making. Not to mention the very loud breathing of the person next to me. How had I ever gotten any sleep with that around? (Now I know the exact response of said loud breather, but I'm going to take my chances here.)

So, with a harumph of indignation, I picked up my things and headed downstairs. I spent about an hour getting my writing in order and decided to call it a night (or a morning, depending on how you look at it).

Climbing back into bed, for the second time, my head relaxed immediately upon touching the pillow. But, unfortunately for me, I suddenly couldn't sleep.

It was too quiet.

Fortunately, the fan was humming and the Captain's deep breaths next to me formed a pleasant melody carrying me off into a deep slumber. Thank God, I thought as I pulled my quilt to my chin, for the blissful quiet noise of my house at night.

6 comments:

Anne said...

Now I know what you were doing up so late last night...or rather this morning.....to answer my email that I sent at 1:30am (my time). Now the question is why was I up late? I wish it were to write a column or something else worth while. I do not plan to be up so late tonight....:)

I look forward to seeing your next column. Remember to link it on your blog!

Blessings,
Anne

Easter Almuena said...

Dear Jane,

Hello dear lady! Got your message. I did find your article and I was so pleased to have read it. You are quite a writer, Jane! And I am so proud of you!

I am on my pre-editing stage of project#1 so I have not been visiting blogs actively. Don't give up on me though. :-) I'm still around.

Jane, keep writing!!! :-) God bless you abundantly!

Love,
Easter:-)

Ebeth said...

Jane, and I bet you also thank God for dirty dishes!! As we all should. These are sounds that I cherish.

When I was a small child, when I couldn't sleep, I would go into the hall and sit listening to my 4 other family members sleeping. It alway made me feel better.

Hugs!
Ebeth

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Hi Ebeth,

While I may not say it often enough, you are correct. And I bless the laundry, too!

Thanks for sharing your sweet memory.

God Bless,
Jane

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Easter,
I can't wait to hear about your new book! How exciting!

God Bless,
Jane

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Hi Anne,
It didn't even occur to me that it was even LATER where you are! There oughta be a club for us not-ready-for-prime-time moms! ;-)

Now, if I could only figure out some time to sleep...

God Bless,
Jane