Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Gifts of Our Lady

I was sent two beautiful gifts for my car from a dear friend with a deep devotion to Our Lady of Guadeloupe, whose feast we celebrate today.

We're planning a Mexican feast for dinner. There is a lovely menu available here. Those of you who are in my neck of the woods might consider a visit to the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadeloupe or just a virtual stop-over. We're also planning to read Tomie De Paola's book, The Lady of Guadeloupe. It is an excellent retelling of the account of her meetings with the peasant Juan Diego.

But, I'm interrupting myself, back to the gifts. One was a brightly colored car air-freshener displaying the image of Our Lady, which is, for the record, the perfect perfumy-ness. The other was a car magnet, which both supports the pro-life movement and gives an opportunity to witness to others just what we really believe about Mary. I have to admit these are just about the nicest feast day gifts anyone has ever given to me, but the best gift of all regarding Our Lady is her tireless effort in bringing all her children back to the Father.

There are numerous stories, too many to include here (perhaps a topic for another post...) of people who found their way back to Jesus through His Blessed Mother. Today, as I taxi around town, the slightest scent of roses filling the air, and the beautiful images from Juan Diego's tilma in view; I will remember those people whom Mary helped guide on their journey home. Especially the ones near and dear to me. And I will be grateful for her for her constant intercession. And from one mother to another, I will humbly thank her for never giving up on one of her children.

"Hear me and understand well, my son the least, that nothing should frighten or grieve you. Let not your heart be disturbed. Do not fear that sickness, nor any other sickness or anguish. Am I not here, who is your Mother? Are you not under my protection? Am I not your health? Are you not happily within my fold? What else do you wish? Do not grieve nor be disturbed by anything."
— Our Lady to Juan Diego

No comments: