Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Early Explorers

Our past week has been a whirl wind of explorers of early America. Beginning with St. Brendan, the Vikings (what exactly was so great about mead, people?) and following through Christopher Columbus to the early colonial settlements.

It's one of those occasions where I find myself pining for the, relatively-speaking, ancient history of my New England youth. I tried and tried to find a wonderful colonial village in the Chicago metro area but to no avail. There were people here at that time, don't let me mislead you, but they were not the colonial people with whom I associate the 17th and early 18th century. (Oh to live within driving distance of the Plimoth Plantation again!) I am, however, trying to embrace my mid-western history and discovered an interesting little game on the early exploration of Illinois. It's brief, but worth a look.

Plus, now I have even more reason to extend my stay on the East coast next summer....Field trips!

2 comments:

Corinne said...

I don't know how far you are from this, but I'm in Milwaukee, and Old World Wisconsin is pretty cool....

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

thanks, are they online?