Monday, October 05, 2009

Blogging In Morse Code

As the new school year started, I had been contemplating how (if at all) to make use of the blog throughout the year.
I had already dealt with the creepiness of total cyber-strangers leering at the photos of my children on here and (as you may have noticed) removed most of the arklings' photos.
I knew that I still wanted to have a place to document our days and memories that would be easy for me to maintain. But, and most importantly, I wanted to make sure that my time here did not detract from my primary vocation as wife and mother (including teaching!)

My solution?

A style of blogging I'm calling "morse code".

When I have time to sit and write something well thought-out, carefully edited, particularly poignant--I will. These longer posts are important to documenting our journey, but the reality is that I can't do that often if I'm living intentionally offline--where eager learners beckon me to teach and God's call to ministry is firmly on my heart. Where providing for my family's needs are a light yoke when I don't overburden myself elsewhere--including online. Where I can delight in the trials and tales of my children without the concern or need to share every single anecdote with the world wide web. Some of those moments, while possibly perfect for a journal, will be kept not on a keyboard but in my heart instead.

When I don't have the time to write it all down, but have a few minutes to share an interesting link to a place we've been, an article I've read or a recipe we're eating (and, oh my, there are a few out there right now!)--I will. These shorter posts fill in some of the details of our life and never required a lengthy diatribe anyway.

Short--short--long. Short--long--short--short.

Morse code blogging.

I think I like it.

3 comments:

Heather Coyle said...

Wisdom well stated. I'm new at blogging and can see where this could be a problem for me. I don't realize how much time I'm spending on here. Thanks for the reminder that this blogging has a place and it shouldn't be near the top.
Heather

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

Very well stated. Blessings to you as you do your best to live out your vocation! I enjoy reading whatever you have to share!

darci said...

oh Jane,
I will miss your stories, but what a good decision you are making. I have fallen off of blogging-alot of my reasons can echo yours (although not nearly as well written!) Thanks for continuing to share your great links! Darci