Thursday, December 14, 2006

The teacher

Before anyone gets alarmed, this is neither a self-serving promotion of my education background nor a gripe session about any other educators...rather, this is a story about my two oldest daughters, in particular H, who seems to have inherited (via adoption magic) the family curse--I mean, gift of teaching.

As I have said previously, both H and B like to play school. They also like to teach one another their native language. What they like better than either of these, however, is to set up Mom and Dad. For example, H will say, "Mom, say (meaning cross in Amharic) meus-keul." I rev up my lips and spit out, "meusk-ool" and she and B giggle hysterically, while H points her long, skinny index finger and says with a grin, "NO!" Same thing repeats again for Dad. Then, when they are finished mocking us, H will say to B, "Say, meus-keul." And B curls up her lips and sticks out her chin and sputters, "moosh-cool" Ha ha, I'm thinking to myself, that doesn't even sound close. Then H smiles at B and turns to Dad and I and says, "Mom-no. Dad-no. B-riiiigghht!" All I'm saying is that I would not enter into any type of bet with these two any time soon...but that's not the end of the story.

The past couple of weeks have been amazing. They have been full of joys and sorrows, but mostly joys. Through all the doctor visits, dentist appointments, antibiotics and other painful necessities in order to care for our new children---they (not so much Mom!) hang in there with us. After today's final round of bloodwork (8 vials drawn and many tears shed per child), it dawned on me. Here is a perfect example of faith, living right under my own roof.

What a revelation to me to truly understand the words of Sacred Scripture which say, "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:3).

The trust that our children have placed in us to follow where we lead, not knowing where they are going-or what will be there when they arrive-is a reminder of what God asks of each of us. I even have God's word written down for me as a guide, as well as thousands of years of church history and I still can't just stop myself from asking, "Are you SURE God? Is this REALLY what you want? I'm not sure if doing that or going there or (insert any number of things that fear and lack of trust hold me back from doing) is really such a good idea." But now, I have a vivid picture in my mind; one of a father holding his child and comforting her (or him) through the rough stuff and I know as much as that father loves and cares for his children, God loves and cares even more.

Our new daughter is such a good teacher, she's already giving us lessons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does it mean anyway? I am very tentative to the play the "I say, you repeat" game when I visit on MLK day. Just think of all the things they'll make me say.

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

The word they were *teaching* us really does mean cross. I, too, would be hesitant to play any game of ANY sort with the likes of those two...