Thursday, December 18, 2008

Follow-Up Appointment

It has been brought to my attention that I haven't actually explained what is wrong with our Baby Girl. Trust me when I say it is no great conspiracy theory at work or tabloid worthy illness. It is simply the product of a mom whose thoughts are so scattered right now that I recently found my garlic salt in the refrigerator.

She was discharged with two major issues: a massive sinus infection and a spot suspicious for pneumonia on her lung. These don't seem to be too major, do they? But consider the fact that she has been fighting these very same two ailments since, oh say, October 2007. Kind of changes the picure, huh?

So, after a multitude of scans and tests, she was put on several heavy duty antibiotics which seem to be doing the trick. She also saw a pediatric ENT who will be taking out her adenoids (which are super-sized) as soon as the infections are cleared up.

In the meanwhile, the antibiotic cocktails she is taking are doing a number on her digestive tract and my laundry schedule. She has the mother of all diaper rashes and we have simply thrown out onesies rather than try to wash them in some cases. As she comes off some of the antibiotics, we are hopeful that some of these side effects should subside. Unfortunately, she is looking at several weeks (if not months) worth of treatment.

Please pray for her health on this course of medicine and that she tolerates it until it is finished.

9 comments:

Mama of 5 said...

Thanks Jane. I have been praying and wondering if things are better. Poor little girl. You can get acidophilus powder and mix it into her food to help with the digestive problems.
Becky

christine M said...

Jane you all continue to be in my prayers - I hope the little one is better fast!

Barbara said...

I was wondering how your little dolly is doing. Try yogurt for that GI tract, and a one to one mix of Aquaphor and Maalox for her bum. Sounds weird but the Aquaphor absorbs the Maalox and soothes her bum and the Maalox neutralizes the acid in the stool. An old pharmacist's trick.

Ericka said...

There's also that butt paste. That's truly it's name and sold at pharmacies. I've heard raves about it also.

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Poor little munchkin!
Make sure that diaper rash is not really a yeast infection (if she's on heavy antibiotics, it well could be). If it is yeast it will need topical cream. Otherwise, get some Triple Paste at the pharmacy (over the counter). It's great stuff.
Hope she is feeling well SOON!

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I'll be praying for your little baby!

Jean Heimann said...

I am so sorry your little one is having to go through this. Thanks for sharing this. I will definitely keep her in my prayers and I will be praying for you and your family, Jane. Yogurt and Keifer are great for the digestive tract and for putting an end to yeast infections if that's what she has, which often is a side effect of taking antibiotics.

Michelle said...

Jane, I'm continuing to pray.

~C~ said...

When my eldest son, Brett, was 2 weeks old he was hospitalized with pneumonia. It was so severe they thought he might have a heart attack and he was on oxygen for a week as well. The antibiotics did the same thing to him. Yogurt is a great option, it helps add the healthy "bugs" back into her system. Also try the "butt balm" recipe they gave me, it was the ONLY thing that cleared him up. 1/3 Desitin, 1/3 Lubriderm, 1/3 Mylanta, I'm not sure how it worked but it did. Also after a long time kids can get those nasty yeasts that move in, not the same as an adult infection because it's just on the skin, if nothing is working, trying some over the counter antifungals like Lortramin or Monistat might work, though the same product the monistat is much more expensive so I'd go with the Lotramin. Hope that helps some, and hope your little one is feeling better soon.