Sunday, June 28, 2009

Praise

"There are so many ways of praying, so many ways of addressing God: in repentance, in petition, in intercession. But in the end we were meant to praise our Creator. Gratitude puts everything into a different perspective. It prevents me from taking anything for granted. It helps me to live my life awake, alert to those good gifts that I am given, in a state of mindfulness or awareness. Then, when I look at the world with eyes of wonder, I discover, rather to my chagrin, that it is often only too easy to drift and become neglectful, lazy, forgetful of gratefulness. I enjoy that line of W.H. Auden, "Practice the scales of rejoicing," because of its suggestion that it really is hard work and needs discipline. I might rewrite those familiar words "pray without ceasing" so that they become "praise without ceasing," giving thanks to my Creator for all the good gifts in my life." --Esther De Waal

"Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!" Psalm 95:2

1 comment:

Laura said...

Jane, this same commenter above (from Newark New Jersey) came over to my blog after yours and left an obnoxious comment.
I guess he's in a lot of pain?