Thursday, November 13, 2008

St. Frances Cabrini

Wednesday afternoons are Liturgical Tea days on board the Ark. If you're ever passing through Chicago on a Wednesday, you should definitely stop by for a little "tea and." We have celebrated many different feasts on these Wednesdays this year, but by far, my most favorite celebrations are of the saints. I think the arklings would agree, too.

Yesterday, we celebrated (a day early--because we just couldn't restrict ourselves to Wednesday-only feast days) St. Frances Cabrini. We were blessed to have two dear homeschool friends join us for the afternoon where we first did a lesson on homophones. A perfect lesson, I must say, as it culminated in the creation of a deliciously edible homophone--chocolate mousse--so simple it was made entirely by the children. And while it chilled for an hour in the fridge, we switched gears and learned about St. Frances Cabrini.

Her missionary spirit, born of her early childhood longings, captivated the children. Not to mention, the influence she exerted in the Chicago area was visible to them in buildings, schools and the order she founded. I used a wonderful lesson applicable to all elementary ages (and perhaps even junior high) found here.

As we sat at the table enjoying our mousse, Barbara's homemade biscotti (which are so much easier to make than I ever imagined!) and hot chocolate, tiny paper boats depicting the traveling missionaries adorned the centerpieces. And after listening to the children (even Naomi) describe to the Captain what we did at school, I think we might have actually learned something, too!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Jane, I love the idea of afternoon tea. You've inspired me to try this at our house too.

Barbara's biscotti recipe sounds delicious too and quite easy. Another keeper!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a fun day!

I checked out Barbara's cooking blog and there are some fantastic looking recipes on there, wow!

Kathy Fitz

Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Hi Kathy,

Yes, Barbara's cooking blog is awesome and the ONLY one I read with any regularity. Also, I might add that her recipes are (at least all of the one's I've tried) delicious and deceptively easy to prepare...even a novice like me can muddle though to a tasty end!

Jane

Anonymous said...

Jane-
I'll look at cooking blogs and think there are one or two recipes I'd like to try, but there are SO many on hers! I'm going to try the chocolate biscotti tomorrow.

Kathy