Monday, July 21, 2008

Review: Catholic Prayer Book for Mothers

I was thrilled when Catholic mother and author, Donna-Marie Cooper O'Boyle, asked me to review her books. But in the back of my mind, I was also a little concerned. I had just committed to my first review for the Catholic Company and I had an additional writing deadline of my own to meet.

So, when the box arrived containing two of her books for review, I was pleasantly surprised by their size.

Each of the books, Catholic Prayer Book for Mothers and Catholic Saints Prayer Book appeared a simple, nearly pocket-sized, book--or so it seemed. As I began to page through the Catholic Prayer Book for Mothers, the saying, "Don't judge a book by its cover," rang in my ears. Sure, each book is small in stature--at less than 80 pages each--but what it lacks in size, it makes up for in substance.

The Catholic Prayer Book for Mothers has pleasant, pastel illustrations, providing a perfect visual complement to the gentle words accompanying them. Divided into 12 sections, each chapter begins with an appropriate scripture reference. Delving deeper, you'll find a great deal of wisdom reflected by this Catholic mother of five.
With such offerings as:
  • The Rosary, One Decade at a Time
  • Not Perfection, Just Peace
and, my personal favorite...
  • Mother's Prayer for Grace to Correct a Child Properly
the book's contents will impact your prayer life as a mother at its very core. Full of quotes from great saints, including several from Blessed Teresa of Calcutta and John Paul the Great, the combination of original and traditional prayers make this tiny book a powerful weapon in a Catholic Christian mother's arsenal. It would be a lovely token of appreciation for all those undertaking the vocation of mothering, and an especially perfect addition to a gift basket for a new mother.

While not a "new" mom by any stretch, I'm always searching for inspiration during the women's bible study I lead. Thanks to this collection of prayers in Donna-Marie's book, my search just got a whole lot easier.

Thanks, Donna-Marie for touching so many mother's hearts with the gift of your faith!

Coming next: My review of her Catholic Saints Prayer Book

3 comments:

TD said...

Jane,
I am always so inspired with all that you do. And i am always looking for a good book, so thanks for the review. Love the new picture!
Teri

Laura said...

You are an inspiration. I don't know how you manage to have the time for this, but what a wonderful skill to have.

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post of reviews. It is very helpful in deciding on WHAT TO READ! What to trust! The prayer books will be great gifts too.

A book I love for Mom's is a children's book to read with the children. It is called "This Bible Talks!" by Pamela Fischer. Narrated by Michael David McGuire. It is a book we use very often and love, so I thought I would pass it along. Website: http://www.thisbibletalks.com

Thank you again...:)